As part of our Inquiry unit this Term we are looking at WHAT IS A 21ST CENTURY LEARNER?
Within our classroom we have looked at how we use a range of tools to support 21st Century Learners they include
- Multiple Intelligences
- The 5 C’s
Below is a presentation on the Habits of the Mind that the students in 6EK created collaboratively together on in class. As well as photos of how we incorporate the 5 C’s in our learning space.
- How are you a 21st Century Learner?
- What tools do you use within the classroom to create a 21st Century Learning space?
- What tool do you like to use most in our classroom and why? (Skype, Blogs, Twitter, GAFE, Chromebooks, iPads, Verso etc)
Last week the students in 6EK looked at what love meant to them.
Through the use of VersoApp students watched a video on LOVE and then created an anonymous discussion where they answered the question ‘What does LOVE mean to you?’ Once students had done this they then created a collage of what love meant to them.
Student responses to “What does LOVE mean to you?”
- Love means to take care of someone and the other person will do the same thing for you.
- Love means doing something that makes you happy or being with someone that makes you happy. 🙂
- Love to me means that you can love anything in the world but it doesn’t have to be in the relationship way.
- Love means to me that I love all my family and friends but differently. I love the way I am different from everyone else and I have a different interests and personalities. I love photography, learning and basketball but I know that others don’t like/love the same things as me.
- There are three different types of love, there is the kissy in love one, there is the liking things one and there is the friends one. I love my family and I like to kiss them goodnight. I like to eat food and play hockey. And I love my friends because they make me feel happy. One big thing about love for me is that it makes me feel happy and good about myself.
- What do you LOVE?
- What does LOVE mean to you?
- What did you learn about LOVE?
I would like to congratulate Cecilia on having her 100WC writing piece from week 22 selected and awarded as a Special Showcase Piece.
This is a fantastic achievement. Well done to all students within 6EK who take part in the 100WC each week.
Cecilia’s 100WC – Week 22-
A PLACE I WON’T FORGET!
I stumbled into the forrest, lost and confused. The trees blended into the mist, looking like a dark blur. My vision was pitch black, nothing in my sight I could see, although I could feel the prickly tops of passing branches as I walked. Then suddenly, a light that almost blinded me appeared, a beautiful stretch of colourful lights appeared around me, and a mysterious golden and green floating house immediately caught my attention. I was in complete awe, I stepped closer to it, then suddenly I blacked out……….and could vaguely see an evil grin as I drifted off……….
Our Class takes part in an eBuddies program where we share our learning with a few other classes around the world. Today we had our second Skype session with Class 5LE from Campsie Public School in Sydney.
As it was our first Skype session with Class 5LE. During our Skype session we asked a few questions to help us to get to know them better. Some interesting things we learnt about their school include:
- They are a bilingual school which means for one hour a day their lesson is taught in Korean
- They have 750 students nearly double the amount of students at our school.
- The students in Class 5LE are doing Genius Hour
- They have a school band and dance group
- They start school at 8:45am and finish at 3pm.
We are looking forward to continuing to share and learn more with Class 5LE and the other classes involved in eBuddies.
- What do you like most about Skype in Class 6EK?
- What were some other differences between Class 5LE and Class 6EK?
- If you could ask Class 5LE another question what would it be?
Today we introduced our Inquiry topic for the term.
‘What is a 21st Century Learner?’
This question created a great discussion within our classroom. But, we did not use the tradition method of brainstorming on the whiteboard, we used Verso app.
This app allowed each student to share their response with the class anonymously. This app created a fantastic discussion about what a 21st Century Learner is and if it just included using technology, or rather the whole set up of a classroom where students direct their learning.
Some interesting points of discussion that were created included
- We use a range of devices including Chromebooks, iPads, Computers, Blogs to support our learning
- A 21st Century Learner is using technology to help them learn and share their learning with others.
- When we use this much technology, will the risk of cyber bullying increase or decrease with the new technology?
- In the olden days they learned so much different to a 21st century learner. We use modern technology, and have a more free decision to learn about what we want to learn, like genius hour. What do you think is the biggest difference between a 21st century learner and an olden day learner?
- A 21st century learner is a very successful learner because we have so much technology that can help us to be successful in what we do.
- Would a person still using books and paper still be a 21st century learner or not?
- What would a learner look like in the next 5 years and how would that be different to now?
- I think a 21st Century Learner is, someone that uses different types of technology to find an answer.
These are just a few of the discussion questions answered and discussed by the students in 6EK.
- What did you like most about using Verso App?
- Do you have any other suggestions on ways we can continue to use VersoApp in our classroom?
- Would you recommend Verso app to others and why?
Today we had a Skype session with Class4B from Mildura.
As part of our #ebuddies14 each week we focus on connecting with a different class from around the world. In doing this it allows us to see how others learn and allows us to share the wonderful learning we are doing with others.
During our Skype session we spoke to Class4B about the weather, the size of their school, their school camp and things they have been learning about this year. We can not wait to continue to connect with other classes from around the world. Questions:
- What did you think about our Skype session with class 4B?
- What do you like about connecting with other classes?
- If you could ask class 4B one more question what would it be?
Class 6EK is taking part in Genius Hour. If you are wondering what it is watch the video below.
The students in 6EK are given one hour of class time to research and investigate a topic that they like. But the topic that they investigate must follow the following three rules
- There needs to be a question that they want to answer that can not be answered by Google.
- They must do research on their topic
- They need to share their findings with others.
Within 6EK some students are working individually and others are working in pairs or small groups.
- What do you like most about Genius Hour?
- What is your question you are researching?
- Why did you choose to research this question?
The big surprise that I was keeping from the students was revealed on Monday.
Each student in year 6 received a Chromebook. If you are wondering what a Chromebook is just watch the video below to give you an insight on this wonderful device …
The students are very excited to be using these devices and have been exploring the power of them within our classroom.
Students have also been learning about being Cyber-Safe on the Internet.
Below are some photos of the students exploring and using their new Chromebooks.
- What do you like most about your Chromebook?
- What are some of the class rules about the use of Chromebooks?
- What do you like about using Google in the classroom?