Genius Hour Projects

Our Term 3 & 4 Genius Hour Projects. 

Student Projects:

Fraser and Shaun: How can we create new sport games for teachers to use with their classes?

Isabelle, Claudia, Naeve, Madeleine and Amy: 

How can we inform students and teachers in our school to stop bullying?

Will and Callum: 

Lego Model of our school

Ella and Cecilia: How might we improve children’s lifestyle, wellbeing and awareness? 

TECS Website

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.41.02 am

Alex and Charlie: How Might we Redesign Sports Equipment to improve Sport. 

Breianna and Maggie: How can we inform people on how to save Panda’s? 

Julian, Joseph and Jesse: How can we create our own book with our choice of recipes?

Link to PowToon Video: http://www.powtoon.com/show/cJJZ7RLtfZb/genius-hour/

Anthony: How can we engage students to use technology through building robots?

69 thoughts on “Genius Hour Projects

1. Hey Breianna and Maggie!

I love your Genius hour Project this term, I think that is a great topic to research about. It was very interesting and i did learn some things that I didn’t know about pandas. We all need to be aware that pandas are endangered so we can try and save them. I love pandas they are so cute!!! Great job on the project again, love it!!!
    From Phoebe

• Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for your great comment! I really enjoyed working on this project and I am glad that thought that it was interesting. It is good that you learnt something new. I hope you enjoyed our project.
      From Maggie 🙂

2. Hey Class 6EK,

We liked your Genius Hour Projects and we thought it was really interesting. We were mostly interested in Anthony’s Project. We thought that building a robot is really cool. When building a robot it takes a lot of effort and hard work to accomplish. I think that he worked really well with people from St. Mark’s. Your questions were really clever and we are looking forward for St. Mark’s to be sharing our projects.

3. Hey Breianna and Maggie
    We loved your question ‘How can we inform people on how to save Panda’s?’
    We are interested of why you chose this question.
    We learnt a lot and we can’t believe there are only 1600 pandas left!
    We thought that you presented really well and you knew a lot about pandas and what you were talking about.
    We thought it was really interesting and it was full of information.
    We really liked your presentation and we are looking forward to you watching our hangout.
    By for now!

• Hi Alannah and Cassie,

Thanks for your great comment. The reason why we wanted to research about Panda’s was because we both did not know a lot about them. We were going to do other animals but we couldn’t agree on which one. So we decided to find a new animal and Panda’s were the one we found. I really enjoyed this topic and your schools presentations were great!
      From Maggie 🙂

4. Hi its Ebony and Anais and we are from St.Marks,
    Even though we are not a big fan of cooking we have become more interested because of the easy recipes. The recipes are a really good Idea for kids to get in the kitchen and get their hands dirty. Plus they are very simple to follow. We will definitely try these recipe in the future.

Bye From Anais and Ebony:)

• Thanks Ebony and Anais.
      We are really grateful for your comment. We are glad to hear that you got more interested in cooking from our genius hour projects. Thankyou for the kind comment.

From Jesse, Julian and Joseph

5. Hi 6EK Damian and Brodie here from st mark’s,
    We were really interested in the shoes that have extra bounce. The two people that did this project were Alex and Charlie, they did some amazing shoes that we are wondering did you make the shoes actually jump higher? What sort of materials did you use to make the shoes? We think you two kids did a amazing work on this project to make the shoes for basketball.

Bye From Brodie and Damian 🙂

• Thanks Brodie and Damian for your comment. Both Charlie and I were very interested in this project and enjoyed it a lot. The shoes did make you jump higher but only slightly. We used high-bounce balls that had been cut in half and glue to secure them to make the shoes. It has been a really fun project and I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed it as much as we have.

Thanks again
      Alex

6. To Anthony,
    I like how you make the robot and how it functions.
    And I’ve got a\some questions for you.
    How did you control the robot? and How did you make the moving arm?

Thanks From Peter !!!

• Thanks Peter,
      I like how you’re so interested in my project. I made the moving arm by creating a pickaxe out of balsa wood and stuck it to a censor. To make it move, I used Arduino and programed with different scripts. You may want to use scratch for Arduino though. This code was C+.
      Thanks for the feedback
      -Anthony

7. Hey Isabelle, Claudia, Naeve, Madeleine and Amy!
    I think that stopping bullying is a really good idea and it would really make an impacted. It’s good to educate people about it because it’s a very serious problem. I also think that hanging posters around your school is a great way to help stop bullying and also a great way to encourage people to stand up to bullying because that’s also really important. Hopefully bullying will stop around your school, well done girls.
    From Charlize:)

• Thanks Charlize for giving us feedback on our project I think you have very good ideas. Thank you for commenting on our genius hour.

from Amy

8. Hey bloggers Xavier and Anthony here,

We are going to talk about Alex and Charlie’s Genius Hour project. We liked how you both tested different balls from different heights. We also liked the idea that you did. What you should improve on is to make a video of the progress you made and try to make the shoes more stable.

Xavier and Anthony from St. Marks

• Hi Anthony and Xavier,
      Thanks for your feedback next time we do this I think that we would like more time to work on the shoe so it could be more stable

Charlie

• Hi Xavier and Anthony,
      Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoyed the project. Both charlie and I did do it is good to see that other people were as interested in it as we were. Thanks for your feedback on how we could improve our presentation and we will definitely be taking that into consideration.

Again, thanks
      Alex

9. Hi guys Jack and James here from St.Marks,

We thought your project was great with a huge impact on readers!
    Just remember the project doesn’t stop when Genius Hour does, we suggest continuing with this project because it could raise heaps more awareness about bullying.
    We will also suggest on your verbal bullying slide you could of added a few more sentences, and said more about what scenarios they occur in.
    We loved how you included a slide about racism, because it is one of the biggest issues in our lives.

We are wondering if we can ask you guys some questions.
    What gave you guys the inspiration to do a project on stopping bullying?
    If you saw someone being bullied what would you do?
    If you were in the victims shoes what would you say or do?

Your project was great!

From Jack and James

10. Hi Class 6EK,

I’m from St .Marks. This question is for Anthony. You had an amazing question and your robot was so cool. I’ve got some questions though. How will your project benefit other people? How hard was it to work with your group?

John

• Thanks for the feedback John,
      As for the questions, we built the robot to show others that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Surprisingly, it was very easy to work with people from another school. We connected through hangouts and near the end, we didn’t really talk to each other.

Again thanks, Anthony 🙂

11. Hey Will and Callum,

It is Eleni, Abby and Linda from St. Marks Primary school.
    We were very interested in your Genius Hour!!! How did you get the bird’s eye view and full view of the school to make your model with Lego? Do you know how many Lego blocks it took? We really enjoyed watching your Google hangout!!! We would love you to watch our hangout next week.

Feel free to check our blog for our Genius Hour Google hangouts, and have a look at our projects.
    http://stmarks56.global2.vic.edu.au/

• Thanks Eleni, Abby and Linda. We got a birds eye view of the school on this sheet that has the top of the school for fire warnings.

12. Hi Joseph, Jesse and Julian,
    The cookbook idea is great. I’m sure other people would love to use those ideas for recipes. Its good that you say we should make our own recipes that would be a good idea for Food tech teachers and other teachers it seems like a fantastic idea.
    From Leticia

13. To Breianna and Maggie.
    Hi! It’s Britt, Tijana and Natalie from St Marks,

We really liked your presentation because we all really like pandas. We thought it was good how you both decided you wanted to help save them from becoming extinct. We hope your idea would make an impact on other people to do the right things and help save the pandas. We have a question for you. Do you think pandas could live in Australia, either in the wild or in zoos? What do you think you could do to make that happen?

From Britt, Tijana and Natalie.

14. Hi Breianna and Maggie it’s Kate from St.Marks,
    I found your project very interesting because I did a project about pandas for my Genius Hour last year. I did a similar question aswell so it was really interesting to compare the information that we both had. I think that it’s a great topic to learn about and you guys made a great presentation/ website. I really enjoyed reading your project great work! 🙂

From Kate

15. Hi our names are Sam, Holly and Emily from St. Marks.
    We looked at Julian, Joseph and Jesse’s Project.
    We thought your project was a good idea. We were wondering how many recipes did you create and what gave you this idea for Genius Hour? Also we would love to see your website with all the recipes!Hopefully we can see more awesome Genius Hours from you next year but if you are interested in looking at ours soon they will be on our blog and the google hangouts soon.
    Here is our blog address: http://stmarks56.global2.vic.edu.au/
    From Em, Holly and Sam.

16. Hey Jade here,
    I think all you guys did really well these two terms for Genius Hour. I enjoyed looking through Breianna and Maggies project, it was well presented and I think they did a good topic. I liked reading about the pandas because I knew some information about pandas but I learnt more from your project. Well done
    By Jade F from St.Marks 🙂

17. Hi Isabelle, Claudia, Naeve, Madeleine and Amy Jack and James here from St.Marks,

Your project was great!

From Jack and James

• To Jack and James,
      Thanks for the lovely comment.
      We would love to keep going on with this project, but its pretty hard to keep going because we are going to different schools next year!

To answer your questions, we got the inspiration from each other and our school, because all of have seen or been bullied and we know what it feels like so we thought we needed to try and stop it from a childs point of view. We have also been doing bullying in our class as a topic and its really helped our understanding for it.
      If I saw someone being bullied I would stick up for them but if it was really bad I would go tell the teacher.
      If I were in the victims shoes I would either try to stick up for myself or walk away and get some other people to make me feel better.

Thanks Isabelle

18. Hi Isabelle, Claudia, Naeve, Madeleine and Amy
    It Kaitlyn from St Marks.I really like your question. I thought it was so good that you were teaching people how to stop bullying.

From Kaitlyn

• Thanks for your comment Bullying has become a big issue at our school and we wanted to put a stop to it that’s why we made a video on Bullying. Do you see Bullying happen a lot and thanks.

19. Hi St Francis Xavier,
    Our name are Cooper and sean ,Your genius hour was great what was a real stand out was Anthonys arduino it was great Sean and I really liked how you put a sensor on. That was really smart and really cool the only question was how fast can it go?

Sean and I also liked the shoes they were really cool and do they make you run faster and do they make you jump higher because if there good can I have a pair, jokes they’re good but I just bought a new pair of runners.

Bye guys good job and I hope you like our google hangouts!

20. Hey 6EK,
    The 5/6s at St. Mark’s were blown away by 6EK’s Google Hangout. Us especially. Our favourite was ‘Will and Callum’s LEGO model of their school’. We loved their presentation because of the detail of the LEGO model and the idea of the question. We were astounded by this model. You must’ve been working hard. You have achieved lots. It was a very creative question for these terms. Your time has been very well spent. Maybe next time you should speak a little louder but other than that, good job! The other Genius Hour projects were equally as great as this. Good work and keep on going!
    By Kieran And Alisha

21. Hey its Nicola from St Marks,
    I think you all did very well on your projects and you all had amazing ideas.
    I really liked the kids cook book. Did you make them, if so how did they taste.
    Good job to everyone 🙂
    From Nicola:)

22. Hi Alex and Charlie, it’s Lochie B here from St.Marks

I thought that your Genius hour project was great! What did you use to stick the high bounce balls onto the shoes and were they easy to run and jump in? I think you and your project could become FAMOUS!

Bye bloggers Lochie out.

• Hi Lochie,
      Thanks for your comment on our genius hour project. We used silicon as the glue and yes, I do think it could make us famous if we continue to improve them. (Although another pair of shoes like ours were banned in the NBA. There goes our market!)

Thanks again
      Alex

23. Hello there Anthony,
    We really liked your robot and how much time and effort you and your group put into it.Before we go we have one quick question for you What did you use to make your robot move?

Bye
    From Christian.T and Sebastian.S

24. Hi 6EK
    We were amazed with all of your great Genius Hour projects. We also really enjoyed the panda based presentation. We thought it had a lot of interesting information. For example they spoke about the panda being one of the most endangered animals. We think some groups could have spoken a bit more clearly, also maybe some projects could have made their presentation longer. But other than that everyone did a fantastic job. We think the time and effort put into the projects were very impressive, especially the groups that made a website with google sites. Also there were a lot of videos made, we think it really emphasised their point of view on their topics. It was a job well done by everyone!!!
    From Rosina, Rachael and Sarah

25. Hi Charlie and Alex Josh.P here from st.marks
    I think you guys have really made an impact on some people with their sport
    your shoes are really really cool and I would love to check them out. They look like they could roll your ankle really easily.
    seeya!

26. Hello students at St Francis,
    It’s Shawnee from St Marks, – you don’t know me 🙂

I just wanted to say I loved everyones projects;
    Ella and Cecilia, I loved your TECS website, (Stef and Taylor are my BFF’s.) I really loved the way you had a specific section each. Question – How do you even make a site? Anyway, good job for working with our school. I hope I can work with your school next time. 🙂

From Shawnee 🙂

P.S. Taylor & Stef say ‘Hi!’

• Hi Shawnee,

Thanks for your comment! All you need to do to make a site is go to the Google Sites website and create your own! Say hi to Taylor and Stefanie for us too!

– Cecilia ;D

27. Hey Anthony,

I thought that your Genius Hour presentation was awesome! I was wondering with the tech you use now what you could do in the future! What you did on the hangout was amazing. Just wondering are you able to do a voice control robot?

Bye

28. Hi, Stefanie here,

I really liked Anthony’s project. Building a sensor robot was really cool! The video was good because it showed exactly what you were trying to explain. I am just wondering, why did you wanted to build a robot and how much time did it take? I would really like to know because it looked very complicated to make. Well, bye for now!

29. Hello Ella and Cecilia,
    Sameeksha here,

I absolutely loved your Genius Hour project, it really gets people thinking twice about how they treat other people. I see that you were working with my friends, Taylor and Stefanie, they were extremely happy to work with you and they were soooo excited! Your website was really cool and my favorite part of it was the video which was quite cute.

Bye, From Sameeksha 🙂

• Hi Sameeksha,

Thanks for your comment! I’m glad you like our project 😀 It was heaps of fun working with your school, Stefanie and Taylor are great friends! We were excited to work with them too. Please say hi to them for us!

– Cecilia

30. Hi guys Matt.S, Josh and Bevan from St Mark’s,

We really liked your website and found it a great way to present your project. We found that the posters were very interesting and a great way to cheer you up, but we didn’t fully understand the point of the storybird story. We want to know where you got inspiration for this question?

From Matt, Josh and Bevan from St Marks

31. Hi Alex & Charlie,

We’ve looked at your project and we’d like to give you some feedback and questions.
    1. Your project had good information about making the shoes except you need more background information about the science behind it.
    2. We found your presentation quite interesting and surprising that you used normal shoes instead of basketball shoes to make the high bounce shoes. Why?
    3. Your project was fascinating because of the way you designed your shoes and it was a good idea to add the graphs as it looks neater that way.
    4. What problems did you face on the way of your project and how did you overcome them?
    5. Next time you could try to make the high bounce shoes more balanced.

From Madison B, Ryan & Josh (5/6R)

32. Hi Class 6EK Its Harry from St. Marks,

I think that Anthony’s project is awesome. And that I would love to have a look at it in real life. The only that I would change about it is make it look more like a robot. I would love to build one of these robots either at home or at school. I think that it would have taken a long time to finish the robot, So how long did it actually take you to build the robot?

Seeya Later 🙂

33. Hey guys,
    Tom, Jacob, Zac and Jack here from St. Marks,
    We all really liked your Genius Hour project Alex and Charlie, especially Tom because he and his partner also made bounce shoes. They used springs instead of high bounce balls. We think you did really well but maybe you could find a better material to make you jump higher and to be more stable. Overall we think your project is great. Thanks for sharing your project with us. Hope you come to watch us share ours next week!

From your friends at St. Marks 😀

34. Dear Ella, Taylor, Cecilia and Stefanie,
    We think your project was interesting and informative. We really like how you presented your work on the website but we would have liked to see you stay on topic a little more because your question states that you wanted to improve children’s lifestyle, well being and awareness and you talked about animal cruelty. Your project was engaging but we believe that you could have added in more detail.

Did you experience any problems and if so, how did you fix them? What inspired you to want to improve children’s lifestyle, well being and awareness? What age group were you expecting to assist?

Overall, we like your website but next time maybe you could try to present it in a more engaging way.

From Paige, Jade and Carsten.

St Marks Dingley, 5/6R

35. Hello students at St Francis,
    It’s Shawnee from St Marks, – you don’t know me

Ella and Cecilia, I loved your TECS website, (Stef and Taylor are my BFF’s.) I really loved the way you had a specific section each. Question – How do you even make a site? Anyway, good job for working with our school. I hope I can work with your school next time.

From Shawnee

P.S. Taylor & Stef say ‘Hi!’

36. Hey guys at St.Francis! Its your good friends Liam, Adam and Charlie from St.Marks here,
    We liked your project Anthony, but we don’t understand how it answered your question. How did you make the robot and how is this affecting anyone in anyway? Also in the hangout there was some kind of picaxe, When did you attach it? Do you have a step by step procedure on how to make it and where you got them. Anyway we liked the robot!
    From your good buddies Liam, Adam and Charlie from St.Marks!

37. Hello Anthony, I like your robot it is pretty cool how you control what it does but I have a few questions for you. One is How do you use hand waves to control the robot? and another one is How long did it take? I really enjoyed this project. Good work!!

38. Hey Fraser and Shaun,
    Your project was a great idea, but next time maybe you should think about having more of an impact on the public. Also, it would be good if you put more information and effort into the slideshow. We agree with you that you need to manage your time more wisely because you didn’t actually finish the ebook. Hopefully you can continue creating the ebook and share it with St. Marks because we would love to try out some of those sports.
    Coen, Christian and Ronick out! 😛
    Peace.

• Hey guys,
      It’s Shaun here.
      Thanks for your feedback on our project 🙂
      I know we didn’t use our time wisely. I think we didn’t get enough time to do our presentation we that’s probably why it isn’t the best. We hope to finish the ebook soon.

Peace

39. Hi Breianna and Maggie,
    My name is Isabella from St.Mark’s. Just to ask you this question why did you pick pandas as your project?. Your project sounds very interesting about Pandas and facts too and all of your Genius Hour project was so perfect and cool.
    Bye

40. Hi anthony i really liked your robot its really good I wish i made a robot like that.How did you make a robot that good because i might make one for genius hour next year.

41. Hey Fraser and Shaun

I like your project for Genius Hour because maybe during class time at the end of the day or on a special occasion or when we have no work to finished we can have some fun. I think you can improve by including more slides because you only had 6 slides. You did a really good job. WE hope you aim even higher next time.

Josh from St Marks

42. Hey it’s Matt from St.Marks

I think Alex and Charlie project was really interesting and I think it’s a great idea & they look really cool.

From Matt

43. Hi Catherine, Alyssa and Emily here from St marks
    We liked Jesse, Julian and Joseph’s project and how you came up with the idea of a kid’s cookbook and the recipes you came up with. We were also wondering what was your favourite recipe you made and why? We think your project was interesting because of the recipes you made and how your project could help people that don’t have many ideas of what to cook.

From Catherine, Alyssa and Emily

44. HI guy

They all did a great job i wish that i did some think like that.

Good bye from Jayke from St Marks

45. Hi guys

First of all I think that all the Genius Hour projects were awesome!

My favourite project was the cookbook one because I think that it is really great for kids to keep active and healthy and the food is delicious.

46. Hello Anthony,

I really liked the robot that you and your group did for Genius Hour.You can tell that you and your group put lots of time and effort into your robot.I just have one question for you and your group and it is how long did it take you to build the robot?

From Sebastian 🙂

47. Josh from St Marks here,
    This project that we looked at was Fraser and Shaun How can we create new sport games for teachers to use with their classes? this would be great to find out some of the games that we could play in the classroom bummer this ebook didn’t get finished and maybe when this book is done I will show my teacher.
    from Josh

48. Hey guys Daniel here from St.Marks,

I thought that Fraser and Shaun project was really interesting but i would like to see the ebook is there away I can access it. I thought besides that it was excellent, I would really like to try these games that you have made. Next time I think that you should put more information in your slide shows.
    CYA GUYS

49. Joseph, Jesse, Julian.
    Feedback:
    Rianna: We think the pictures were the best and the food you made would’ve tasted really good!
    Damon: I think you could’ve included more detail in your project, would’ve loved to have learnt some more background information about this topic.
    Meghan: I think that the presentation looks engaging because of the colours and the pictures too. I would be even more interested if there was more information.
    Rianna: My wish for you is to think about a question that will have a positive impact on the world.
    Damon: I wish you showed us how you made the recipes and showed what ingredients you used
    made.
    Meghan: I think that you can improve on adding some more information and maybe next time try to maybe show us the recipes of the food you made.
    A great effort guys! Thanks for the presentation.
    Rianna, Damon & Megan.