Week 3 Blogging Challenge – Digital Footprints

Do you know what a Digital Footprint is? What is your Digital Footprint? As part of this weeks blogging challenge we are looking at how to create a positive digital footprint. Below there are a few videos and activities that you can do to make you aware of your own digital footprint.

Activity 1.

Watch the first two videos above then leave a comment on this post about something that you found very interesting in one of the videos. Write a post explaining the differences between the videos. Which did you prefer and why?

Activity 2.

After watching the two videos, write a post about your digital footprint. Is it positive or negative? Would you be proud to have your grandparents or your future grandchildren look at everything you have included in your digital footprint? Why or why not? Maybe Google your name to see what is online about you, that you might not have put there. Remember to Google your nickname used in online games etc as information might be included there.

Activity 3.

Imagine you are debating this topic: It is better to have a negative digital footprint than no footprint at all. Give three reasons to support each side of the debate.

Activity 4.

Watch the third video. Why is it important to check out the settings whenever you buy a new device? Default settings often allow the manufacturer to gain information about you without you realising it.

Activity 5.

Should all teachers,principals and parents have a digital footprint in this time of technology? Google your teacher or principal (with their permission first) or even your parents. What have they got online? Do they have some information you think should not be there? Discuss it with them. Write a post about the discussion you had without giving away personal information to your readers.

Activity 6.

I would like your help to get the list organized. Write a post about 5 of your favourite web tools or apps. In your post mention how old you need to be to use it, whether you had to sign up to use it and what type of tool or app it is eg mindmapping, poll/survey, slideshow. Also tell me why you enjoy using the tool or app.

Activity 7.

Here are some websites to visit related to cybersafety and digital footprints. Visit some of them and write a post, create a poster or glogster, create a cartoon about what you found out. Your teacher might also give you other websites to visit.

ACMA Australia – cybersafety for young kids, kids and teens.
Google has some digcitizenship adventures relating to digital footprints – more for middle and high school students
Kidsmart from the UK has some great tips and information

8 thoughts on “Week 3 Blogging Challenge – Digital Footprints

1. It was great to see how just one click of the finger it good and bad. But it is also scary like if you accidental click on something it is seen by everyone and how you can find so much more information about a person when all they have to do is sign in to something sign up for something or even hit a wrong batten. Even with one photo graph of you when you are at a party you could not get a job because they search you and see how you are and well it sawda nearly creepy but if you have it controlled then it will all be OK.

2. Hi Miss K and 6EK,

I found it very interesting that even before you were born you were creating your digital footprint. I was also very surprised to find out on the 3rd video that anyone can tell who you are. Just by looking at your social media account, and turning locations on.

All of these videos were different. The first was about your digital footprint, and the second was about how your digital dossier is always growing. The third was about having your social media account on public.
    I preferred the 3rd video because it was very interesting and surprising.

From Cecilia

3. I thought both those vidios where very interesting the way the remided you on how you can be a good digatal citizen. I like the one with the man when told everyone who they were and i think it very smart and makes people realize that enyone can findout who you are and what you are doing.

4. Hi Miss K and 6EK,
    My favourite video was the one where the guy went around to people. I found it very interesting how you can find people on instagram by looking at their photos and location.
    Now i know always to be careful on the internet and have your accounts on private.
    Thanks Issy 🙂

5. I did activity 4 and 5. I liked the third video and it is really important to check your safety settings so people that you don’t know can’t see your information. It is good for teachers to have a digital footprint if it is good because people can see all the good work they do.

Alex

6. Hi Miss K and 6EK,

It is important that you check your settings when you get a new device, because you could have locations turned on. When you turn locations on, a lot of your apps will let the manufacture gain information about your location, and others.

It is important that you turn this setting off if you don’t want anyone to know your location.

From Cecilia

7. Hi everyone,

I think that my digital footprint is positive, because all the stuff that I have online about me is about my learning, commenting about good things on others posts. Also what I have achieved, I would be proud to show this to my family, and friends.

From Cecilia